•  » Graphic Design
  •  » Web Design
  •  » Logos and Branding
  •  » Illustration
  •  » Photography
  •  » Design Tutorials
  •  » Plenty of Off Topic Chat

Register now to remove this ad box

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

-->

Documenting Workflow?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

I've just emailed my tutor with my idea, so i thought i'd also pitch it here to see what other people think.

On the course we have to keep a diary/journal and sketchbook of our development in projects. And for me this can get slightly annoying because although i doodle and sketch most of my experimentations are digital and are all stored digitally.

This got me thinking something like this:
    journal = paper, livejournal = online blog

Therefore i could use a blog as a way of documenting my workflow as oppose to a paper journal/diary. I'm still waiting for a reply so what does everyone else think, and does anyone use this method already?
    This is my signature, This is my twitter, This is a teapot shaped like hitler. (Hmmm that rhymed)

Blog Entries

My Social Networking

Follow Toon On Twitter Add Toon on Facebook Add Toon on Google+
    Add Toon on Linkedin Follow Toon on Flickr Visit Toon's Youtube Channel
    I don't use it personally but it is used and works quite well.

its a thought if you could make it work I guess
    Richard Gray
    zumojuice | Facebook | Twitter

i think its a great idea.. i would personally check it out as its nice to see how other people work.. and i think its taking it a step further too..
    life is inspiring....

nice idea. it's not the most 'unique' idea but that shouldn't stop you. I can see the benefit in it. it also gives you a great resource to reflect on the process of a project once it is complete - so you can change things if you feel they need it.

keep us posted.

read a great article the other day on how a blog is essential to promoting your business, very interesting but someone made a good point, why do companies have forums? Unless you're offering software support it seems pointless
    "It was one of those days when it's a minute away from snowing and there's this electricity in the air, you can almost hear it, right?"

Yes indeed. Businesses managed fine before the Internet, and well before blogs were around. I'd say that article neglected to note the fact that a blog COULD be excellent for increasing traffic to a site/business - particularly online businesses. That said a blog does allow one to publish thoughts and views beyond a commercial aspect which could be beneficial, or in fact a hindrance (i.e, just cause a person can have a blog doesn't make them an expert in their field).

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

documenting work seems to be incredibly diverse from person to person. Still, writing is probably a good way to always go no matter how that's implemented - i feel like there should be more written aspects to my work flow.

What i will add is that sometimes just visual progression and documentation/development is enough. Going through any kind of process i "iterate". On an image say, I'll branch my file every 30 to 40 minutes. Come a few hours i can see how i developed it. This becomes a mnemonic device so that i can explain the process well after it's completion even if i didn't write much.