Welcome to the Graphic and Web Design Forum
your forum for all things Design
- » Graphic Design
- » Web Design
- » Logos and Branding
- » Illustration
- » Photography
- » Design Tutorials
- » Plenty of Off Topic Chat
Register now to remove this ad box
Thread: Friday the 13th the Facts
13-07-2012, 08:51 AM #1
Friday the 13th the Facts
ADS NOT VISIBLE TO MEMBERS
1. Theories surrounding the origins of the superstitious day include that it is an amalgamation of two older superstitions: that thirteen is an unlucky number and that Friday is an unlucky day.
2. The suspicion surrounding the number 13 stems from a number of sources, notably the Last Supper, and that having thirteen people seated at a table will result in the death of one of the diners.
3. More than 60 million people worldwide claim to be affected by a fear of Friday 13th, so-called paraskevidekatriaphobia. Some of them won’t go to work, drive cars or even get out of bed on this day.
4. The horror film 'Friday the 13th' was released in May 1980 and despite only having a budget of $550,000 it grossed $39.7 million at the box office in the United States.
5. Every year has at least one and at most three Friday the13ths.
6. A British Medical Journal study compared the ratio of traffic volume to the number of automobile accidents on two different days, Friday the 6th and Friday the 13th, over a period of years. they found that in the region sampled, while consistently fewer people chose to drive their cars on Friday the 13th, the number of hospital admissions due to vehicular accidents was significantly higher than on "normal" Fridays.
7. Both Friday and the number 13 were once closely associated with capital punishment. In British tradition, Friday was the conventional day for public hangings, and there were supposedly 13 steps leading up to the noose.
8. Many hospitals have no room 13, while some tall buildings skip the 13th floor, many restaurants have no 13th table.
9. Famous people born on Friday the 13th include Samuel Beckett (13 April 1906), Margaret Thatcher (13 October 1923), Fidel Castro (13 August 1926) and Steve Buscemi (13 December 1957).
10. The longest period that can occur without a Friday the 13th is fourteen months.
11. Today is the last Friday 13th of 2012.
12. For pagans, 13 is actually a lucky number. It corresponds with the number of full moons in a year.
13. The next year in which we'll have three Friday the 13ths is 2015. They'll fall in February, March and November.
By Dunce in forum FilmsReplies: 2Last Post: 06-08-2009, 06:29 AM
By LeadMagnet in forum Off TopicReplies: 14Last Post: 14-03-2009, 02:44 PM
By Toon in forum FilmsReplies: 8Last Post: 15-02-2009, 12:34 AM
By KO1988 in forum Off TopicReplies: 10Last Post: 13-02-2009, 09:21 PM
By Liliya in forum Off TopicReplies: 1Last Post: 30-10-2008, 02:50 PM