•  » Graphic Design
  •  » Web Design
  •  » Logos and Branding
  •  » Illustration
  •  » Photography
  •  » Design Tutorials
  •  » Plenty of Off Topic Chat

Register now to remove this ad box

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

-->
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Rules for logo design: First Drafts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

When you're doing your first drafts of a logo design for a client roughly how many do you show them? Do you select the top 3, 5 or maybe 10. Can too many cause a problem or give you as a designer a better idea of what the client wants. Also do you email them of mount them and deliver them by hand or maybe even present them in book form?

My Social Networking

Follow The Simulator On Twitter Add The Simulator on Facebook Add The Simulator on Google+
    For me it depends on the price of the job. For some of the cheaper projects they just get what they're given which will be pretty much my first idea...

If it's a more in depth project I will probably come up with 2 or 3 totally different directions for the identity to see what they like the feel of, once they've picked that I usually come up with about 4 to choose from to take to the refinement stage.

But that's just me. I think people would agree that having too many options to choose from can be just as problematic as having too few though.

As for sending the files...Once payment has been made I email across the logo (in all variations) in both EPS and PDF formats along with a logo usage/identity guide PDF in a zip file.

My Social Networking

Follow Paul Murray On Twitter Add Paul Murray on Facebook Add Paul Murray on Google+
    Add Paul Murray on Linkedin
    Agreed, showing too many can dilute the better ideas and just confuse the client. Plus there's the temptation they'll ask you to work up a number of the ideas, which adds unnecessary work for you and can lead to problems when you hand them the bill for extra work (which they probably won't be expecting).

I'd personally pick two or three ideas, but only show them the one I think is the strongest, explaining my reasons for the design and how it fits their brief. If they're not happy with that concept, whip out the others.

MOST IMPORTANT RULE: Never show anything you're not 100% behind, or guaranteed the client will pick that one and you'll be stuck working on it half-heartidly

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren1981 View Post
    MOST IMPORTANT RULE: Never show anything you're not 100% behind, or guaranteed the client will pick that one and you'll be stuck working on it half-heartidly
    The best advice! I tell myself this when I'm selecting the finals to present. But you shouldn't make the selection; have others around you help make a decision because sometimes the public may see something we don't as the designer.
    Christina Wilkinson
    Sabre Design

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren1981 View Post
    This is SO true never get stuck in that situation
    "The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'. So I installed LINUX..."

3-5 really good ideas although I'd lean towards just 3 unless the others were really good

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

agree about the 3 too

Page 1 of 3 123 Last