•  » Graphic Design
  •  » Web Design
  •  » Logos and Branding
  •  » Illustration
  •  » Photography
  •  » Design Tutorials
  •  » Plenty of Off Topic Chat

Register now to remove this ad box

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

-->
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

custom typography design vs editing an exsiting typeface ...Please Help

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

I've been knocking my head against a steel beam for a minute with this question(s) Is it common to take an existing typeface and alter it to appear as a custom typeface in graphic design industry? A college professor mentioned to me once that its not cool to take an existing typeface and edit it to appear different. So which is better to create a custom typeface or edit an existing typeface to suit your needs? for example if you were creating a Title to a book or new film (movie) Thanks for any assistance with this
    Last edited by cgig; 22-02-2012 at 02:24 AM.

My Social Networking

Follow StiligeCecilie On Twitter Add StiligeCecilie on Facebook Add StiligeCecilie on Google+
    Hm, I haven't really thought about this.. I mostly use free typefaces and modify them to suit my needs. I have never created a custom typeface myself, and I don't know how to. I honestly thought this was common between designers? I'd love to hear some more input on this..
    Portfolio | Pinterest | Facebook | Art prints, and printed merchandise made by me: Society6 Shop

Hi StiligeCecilie,
    I would like to also. From my understanding a typeface is a distinguished letter form. so if you draw a unique looking L on sheet of paper...that would be a custom typeface ..right,
    or am I missing the train here
    for example this is a logotype from a pop comic bookeries
    wouldn't this be a particular custom typeface ...hope Im making since
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	witchblade_logotype_ex.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	6592

My Social Networking

Follow StiligeCecilie On Twitter Add StiligeCecilie on Facebook Add StiligeCecilie on Google+
    Yes, it is custom. But if you modify an existing typeface beyond recognition, I would say that is allowed?
    Portfolio | Pinterest | Facebook | Art prints, and printed merchandise made by me: Society6 Shop

thanks Hi StiligeCecilie...I believe you are right ...I think I just found all my answers...I watched this video...all I can say is wow
    Doyald Young, Logotype Designer, 1926

Its completely fine and very common among type artists. where do you think most fonts come from there just edited versions of others your professor is talking crap, whichever is best suited to you is the choice you should take.

<< just realised my t shirt its a type face that has just had swirls added and maybe other tweaks but its a good example of type modifications.
    Last edited by MRH; 22-02-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Hi MRH thanks for the replying. I'm not sure what the professor was getting at or it could be I just misunderstood her. but I am happy to have that nail out my head. But That vid was so inspirational as well as answered a slew of questions. Now I realize its all about client needs, production time and project scope

My Social Networking

Follow Marolt On Twitter
    Visit Marolt's Vimeo Channel

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Quote Originally Posted by cgig View Post
    thanks Hi StiligeCecilie...I believe you are right ...I think I just found all my answers...I watched this video...all I can say is wow
    Doyald Young, Logotype Designer, 1926
    This Documentary almost made me cry.. I could barely soak it in.
    It is really beautiful to see generous simple people achieving great things..

Page 1 of 2 12 Last