•  » Graphic Design
  •  » Web Design
  •  » Logos and Branding
  •  » Illustration
  •  » Photography
  •  » Design Tutorials
  •  » Plenty of Off Topic Chat

Register now to remove this ad box

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

-->

Thread: Nike Logo Is 40

Nike Logo Is 40

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

The Nike "swoosh'" is a design created in 1971 by Carolyn Davidson, a graphic design student at Portland State University. She met Phil Knight while he was teaching accounting classes and she started doing some freelance work for his company, Blue Ribbon Sports (BRS).

For seven years after its founding in 1964, BRS imported Onitsuka Tiger brand running shoes. In 1971, BRS decided to launch its own brand, which would first appear on a soccer cleat called the Nike, manufactured in Mexico. Knight approached Davidson for design ideas for this new brand, and she agreed to provide them, charging a rate of US$2 per hour.

In the spring of 1971, Davidson presented a number of design options to Knight and other BRS executives, and they ultimately selected the mark now known globally as the Swoosh. "I don't love it," Knight told her, "but I think it will grow on me." Davidson submitted a bill for US$35 for her work.[3] (In 1983, Knight gave Davidson a diamond Swoosh ring and an envelope filled with Nike stock to express his gratitude.)

In June 1972, the first running shoes bearing the Swoosh were introduced at the U.S. Track and Field Olympic Trials in Eugene, Oregon. Nike continues to use the brand today.
    Nike Logo Is 40

$35, you could just crowdsource it now for $1
    I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Goes to show, simple is the key

Inflation adjusted that comes to $186.29

Something to think about next time somebody comes up with the "...but Nike only paid $35" line.

None of these jokers is going to show up with stock and diamond jewelry after the fact. But you could say the downpayment was $35 on a total tab of several thousands of dollars ...and the client felt it was well worth it. That's the part of the story few point out.

Also goes to show the client isn't the best judge of a logo design. This was one of the most copied, iconic logos of the past forty years.
    Last edited by D856C; 19-08-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D856C View Post
    Inflation adjusted that comes to $186.29

Something to think about next time somebody comes up with the "...but Nike only paid $35" line.

None of these jokers is going to show up with stock and diamond jewelry after the fact. But you could say the downpayment was $35 on a total tab of several thousands of dollars ...and the client felt it was well worth it. That's the part of the story few point out.

Also goes to show the client isn't the best judge of a logo design. This was one of the most copied, iconic logos of the past forty years.
    I believe Carolyn also got 500 shares with Nike for doing this logo as well.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

I believe Carolyn also got 500 shares with Nike for doing this logo as well.
    And the point is that can be interpreted as the (late) realization of the value of an identity design. The bottom feeders focus on thirty-five bucks. Not the shares (at current share price = $39,290.00 Thirty Nine Thousand folks). Plus jewelry, we're talking, say, forty-five thousand dollars.

Not a lot of designers have the guts to mention this when the bottom feeders try to get cute.