•  » Graphic Design
  •  » Web Design
  •  » Logos and Branding
  •  » Illustration
  •  » Photography
  •  » Design Tutorials
  •  » Plenty of Off Topic Chat

Register now to remove this ad box

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

-->
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Critque my site please :)

ADS NOT VISIBLE TO MEMBERS
    Hello all - I've had this site up and running for awhile, but wanted to see what other designers thought of it:

http://www.mortalcreations.com

thanks!

There are a number of things I am planning on changing to it but have been swamped with client work (barber with the bad haircut). Would be awesome if I got some feedback from you guys so when I make time, I can make all of the changes at once.

I like the image of the road you used, but not so much the cloud background.

I agree about the clouds, also, I would suggest having a way back to your main page other than your logo there, and possibly use the outline: none; on your image links, since I had to use the back button (or the logo) to get back to the main page, you get that dotted line around the images.

Otherwise, it's a smart and clean looking site. Nice.
    Fortune cookie says: "You will be successful, if you don't screw up."
    SidekickWebDesign.com

You may not think it terribly important, but I can detect an edge in the transition from the left side of the quill graphic and the right side of the chest graphic. Personally I would have to fix that. I also agree with others that you need to include a 'Home' link/button in your nav. And the three spurious links in the top right corner need to be brought into the main navigation as well.

I like the look and feel of the website, but I echo the earlier critiques. Some people navigating your site may not know to click your logo to return to your home page. Also, as Arkady suggested, those three links in the top right should be better integrated into your overall design.

I am not liking the wheel/gear watermark in the upper right-corner. It somehow relates to the images of the gears on the homepage, but not with any of your other pages. Your design is solid enough to work without it.
    View my work at brentfolio.com.

First off - thank you all for taking the time to look at my site and provide feedback. I am by no means a designer (im a C# developer) so I get a little self-conscious about my graphical endevours.

I like the image of the road you used, but not so much the cloud background.
    Thanks - the clouds were something I added later because I had a light blue gradient and it just seemed bland. I'll consider removing them but what would you, or anyone else, suggest replacing it with?

I would suggest having a way back to your main page other than your logo there, and possibly use the outline: none; on your image links, since I had to use the back button (or the logo) to get back to the main page, you get that dotted line around the images.
    Duly noted - will add a home button. Thanks

You may not think it terribly important, but I can detect an edge in the transition from the left side of the quill graphic and the right side of the chest graphic. Personally I would have to fix that.
    Yea - this was one of the things that I needed to fix. I originally had something below "we offer high-impact website solutions and services" so when I removed that text, I didn't adjust the positioning of those elements.

I will be splitting up the long block of text on the left and replacing "We offer..." with half of it. The lower-left portion will be for my blog feed, when I get a chance to breath and develop the blog.

And the three spurious links in the top right corner need to be brought into the main navigation as well.
    They are actually supposed to be light grey so they 'fit' a bit better - when I pushed up the change for removing the text under "We offer high-impact.." I accidently pushed up new mark-up for them as well.

I am not liking the wheel/gear watermark in the upper right-corner. It somehow relates to the images of the gears on the homepage, but not with any of your other pages. Your design is solid enough to work without it.
    Well the gear symbolizes functionality - and at the end of the day, thats what I offer. I offer design as an affiliated service. The gear / three links also provide link love for SEO purposes so I am reluctant to remove it.

Infact - I've considered dropping this layout all together and going with a more stream-lined, less graphically intensive, layout that demonstrates more of a IT/software development firm feel.
    Last edited by MortalCreations; 19-12-2008 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MortalCreations View Post
    Infact - I've considered dropping this layout all together and going with a more stream-lined, less graphically intensive, layout that demonstrates more of a IT/software development firm feel.
    If you do so keep us updated, I would like to see your site after you spend some more time on it.
    View my work at brentfolio.com.

ADS NOT VISIBLE TO MEMBERS
    Quote Originally Posted by SidekickWD View Post
    I agree about the clouds, also, I would suggest having a way back to your main page other than your logo there, and possibly use the outline: none; on your image links, since I had to use the back button (or the logo) to get back to the main page, you get that dotted line around the images.

Otherwise, it's a smart and clean looking site. Nice.
    What browser were you using when you got the dotted line around the images?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last